Welcome to the real world, they said. It would be fun, they said. Yikes.
Life after graduation can be tough. Our early 20s is primarily a time of trial and error (for all of us). Here’s what you need to do to stay on the right track.
- Seek wisdom from wise people. We all can find a friend who will agree with us — no matter what decision we make. When you are considering a big decision, dating advice, career help, or financial counsel; pay attention to who you are listening to. If you want to make wise decisions, realize sometimes this means being told “no.”
- Surround yourself with people you admire. They say you become like the five people you spend the most time with, so be discerning and intentional about the relationships you are building. Do you surround yourself with people who lift you up, who challenge you to grow, who support you? Or do you mostly hang around the “fun” friends? Don’t get me wrong, we all need those friends — the ones you who can let your hair down with, laugh hysterically with, act like a kid around — but don’t let this be your only type of friend.
- Discover your passions. This is the best time in life to do it. Take your weekend and evening, or any non-working hours to try new things. Take up a new sport or hobby. Go find somewhere to volunteer. Find what makes you, well… YOU. Sure, this will mean going outside of your comfort zone — especially if, like me, you’re more on the shy side of things. But, trust me, it is absolutely worth the risk. You’ll find yourself and probably some great friends along the way.
- Develop a strong work ethic. This will serve you well through all stages of adulthood. Whether you are a student, a part time employee, already working your way up the corporate ladder, or starting your own business — take work seriously and give it your focused attention. Yes, this means putting down your phone during work hours. People will take notice. Plus, your diligence will serve you well in your work life and home life.
- Self-care matters. Find a stress release. Let’s be honest, adulting is hard. Some days you feel like you’re killin’ it. The next day you miss a car payment. Oops. Find something that helps you keep balance in your life. Be it exercise, reading a good book, cooking, or quality time with a good friend… find healthy activities that keep you grounded (and somewhat sane) amidst the chaos. Make those things a priority with your time and your money.
Do you feel like your style, career, or personal brand could use a confidence booster of it’s own? We are here to help. Check out all of the ways we can help you optimize your life. You’ll be glad you did.
As always, drop us a note with any thoughts. We appreciate you.